Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pom-Pom Party!

Some of you might have been wondering why we were wearing Crazy Socks on Friday. It's because we were having our Pom-Pom Party!
Our full jar! We were very excited!
I have 3 levels of classroom management for the kiddos - individual, small-group, and whole-group. Individually, we use the color chart so that the students learn to responsible for their own behavior. Tables groups work together to earn points for small-group management. I give table points for being the first to sit with heads down, being the only table working quietly, etc. As a whole group, our entire class works to earn pom-poms for our pom-pom jar. We get pom-poms when everyone is doing what I ask of them or when we get compliments from other teachers. From the first day of school, I encourage the students to work as a team and help each other become responsible. Motivating students individually as well as in groups helps create very responsible citizens!
Stinky Feet is fun for everyone... even Ms. Stookey!
Each time we fill up our jar, I throw the students a small surprise party. It only takes 30 minutes, and I find that it really motivates them to make good choices as a team. I knew the weather was going to be bad this Friday, so I wanted to give them an indoor party. We had "Stinky Feet" for the whole 30 minutes, which is why Crazy Socks was a necessity! :) We had a dance party, listening to the KidzBop station on Pandora (I absolutely LOVE Pandora!). Then we watched The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow to tie into the week's theme as well a give the kids some "movie time." We even had a little time at the end to play "Bubble Gum" with our toes. I had completely forgotten about this game, but the kids were adamant about playing it for a little bit. :)
One Direction was playing, and I couldn't help but get up and dance, too!
I can't wait to work on filling up our jar again for the next party. I've already got some fun ideas forming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment