Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Class Dojo!

I am excited to try a new classroom management system! I follow quite a few blogs on my GoogleReader, and I've seen other teachers using ClassDojo for quite a long time. I've been curious as to how it works, so I've decided to take the plunge and go for it! I've used the color chart for the past couple years with great success, but I wanted to be able to integrate a little technology with it, too. ClassDojo seems to be the perfect solution!

Each Monday all the students will start with 0 points. Students will earn points for completing homework assignments, helping others, working hard, following directions quickly, being good friends and bucket-fillers, and staying on task. They can lose points by not turning in their homework, tattling, not trying their best, being off-task and silly, bucket-dipping, and dawdling.

Each afternoon I will see which 2 students have earned the most points for the day. The following day, they'll be able to hold one of my stuffed pigs at their desk, as long as they're still setting good examples! :)

At the end of day on Friday, the top 5 earners will be able to pick rewards from my Dojo Rewards List. They include such things like Mix It Up Lunch, sitting in the teacher's chair, show-and-tell time, etc. They will be able to redeem these prizes on Monday.

I'll make sure that all students with positive behaviors for the week also receive incentives on Fridays. I want to reward them for their good choices!  

I still want to stress the importance of working as a team. If our class has at least 75% positive behavior for the week, we will earn pom-poms for our jar. If we have an exceptional week, I will decide on another extra prize for the kiddos.

ClassDojo has a neat feature where I can email you a report card of your child's progress each week. We will still be keeping a paper record of your child's point totals so please make sure you're still checking their Stallion folder. Instead of their color chart, you'll find a new recording sheet. We'll write the total of points as of that afternoon for each day, so you'll be able to see their points build throughout the week.

We'll be learning this new system together so please forgive us if things need to change or if we decide we don't like the program. :) I am very excited to see how everything goes. I'm pretty sure the kids will LOVE the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment