Monday, October 29, 2012

Happy Birthday!

We had two birthday celebrations today, so that reminded me that I wanted to post about what we do for special days in the classroom.

I give each kiddo a special birthday card and pencil to start off the day. They announce birthdays on our announcements, and students get to go to the front office to get their birthday pencil from the principals.

We also make a birthday book for our friends. While students are writing birthday notes, I have the birthday boy or girl decorate his or her book cover. Our kids are so sweet, making sure that they give their friends exactly what they would want for their birthdays. They account for their friends' interests and favorite things. It's a hoot seeing what they would give their friends.

During calendar time, we sing Happy Birthday (with or without cha-cha-cha's) to the birthday girl or boy.

We don't make a huge deal out of birthdays because some of our classmates don't celebrate them. However, I do want to make the day special because I remember how exciting birthdays are when you're young. They're not so great now that I'm older! :) So we like to give a little celebration to show our friends that we're happy for them and excited for their special day. I hope your kiddos come home excited after their birthday. (If they have a summer birthday, we celebrate a half-birthday for them, too so don't worry!)

Also, there has been some confusion and a few questions regarding birthday treats. This year, our school is allowing cupcakes or cookies, but you must send your treats to school in a pre-packaged, store-bought container. The label must be on the package, and it cannot be opened prior to dropping it off in the front office. We have to comply with national nutrition laws, so I must be able to read the nutritional facts before passing out snacks. We also have a few students with peanut allergies so make sure that you are only sending peanut-free products. I apologize for any inconveniences that this has caused in the past, but I just wanted to make an additional note here in case some of you were still wondering.

As always, if you have any questions please feel free to email me or call.

No comments:

Post a Comment